Friday, September 14, 2007

Work to Live

The Spanish motto of work to live, don't live to work, definitely described the lifestyle I upheld while studying abroad in Seville last semester. I had classes only four days a week, little to no outside homework assignments and no side job. I took a siesta every day, and hit the beach on the weekends.

Just a few short months later, I dove head-first back into the typical role of an American college student. I have class five days a week, am an active member of two student groups on campus and work 40-hours a week as a waitress. During the small periods of time I have off, I attempt to reconnect with friends whom I haven't seen in the past eight months.

I can't help but feel nostalgic about my experience in Europe, and wonder why in the United States the commonly accepted work ethic more closely mimics the concept of live to work.

No comments: