Friday, November 9, 2007

Student Statistics

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has a great website with multiple charts and graphs concerning how different age groups spend amounts of time doing various activities. The pie graph that I was most interested in is labeled "Time use on an average weekday for full-time university and college students." According to these statistics the average student spends 3.9 hours per day doing leisurely activities or playing sports, spends 2.8 hours working and sleeps an average of 8.4 hours a night. Really? Reeeallly?? I don't know, I'm sure there are a lot of students who have this kind of free time, but I don't know a single student at NU that has almost 4 hours free each day to dedicate to "leisurely activities." It's impossible for me to fit my normal 2 mile run into my week more than 3 times, and it's certainly does not take me 4 hours to run it!

The following text is taken directly from the BLS website:

Time use on an average weekday for full-time university and college students

Hours
Sleeping 8.4

Leisure and sports 3.9

Working 2.8

Educational activities 3.2

Other 2.3

Traveling 1.6

Eating and drinking 1.0

Grooming 0.8

Total 24.0

NOTE: Data include individuals, ages 15 to 49, who were enrolled full time at a
university or college. Data include non-holiday weekdays and are an average for
2003-06.

http://www.bls.gov/tus/charts/home.htm#leisure

No comments: