Tuesday, October 30, 2007

170 Million Addicts

Caffeine. 55% to 90% of Americans consume it every day. And now caffeine is being hidden in products that don't just come in Starbucks cups. According to an article that I found on Time.com today, caffeine is now being infused into gum, lip-balm, mints, beer, candy, sunflower seeds, and even soap. One product that I have come across a few times lately while studying the affects of caffeine is called "blow." Its' name and packaging are both intended to resemble cocaine. The white powdered substance is sold in a plastic vile and is meant to be stirred into water or other drinks.

Although these products are making money, the affects of caffeine addiction and withdrawal can be uncomfortable. I for one developed the habit of drinking a venti latte, made with three shots of espresso, at the beginning of my work shift every night. By midnight, I would develop a splitting headache and would have to drink coke or another soda with caffeine in it in order for my headache to subside. After a week or so of this, I decided I was consuming way too much caffeine. I switched my regular venti latte to "half-caff"--a mix of part decaf and part regular. Since then my headaches haven't returned.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1663847,00.html?cnn=yes#



No comments: